Wildlife Camera Operator Scotland
Natural History and Presenter-led content
I am a wildlife camera operator based in Scotland. I am a BAFTA New Talent winning filmmaker with over seven years of experience as a lighting camera operator.
Building on my work as a documentary camera operator I was driven towards a move into natural history. With a passion for the great outdoors and conservation I was seduced by Scotland’s wilderness and wildlife.
I enjoy the rigours of wildlife filmmaking and the immense satisfaction for my job. Most recently I captured the elusive Pine Marten for natural history series ‘Great Britain’, while other excursions have seen me at sea and climbing mountains.
I am most experienced filming within the forests, uplands and coastal environments of Scotland. I am also very familiar with the Cairngorm region including Rothiemurchas Estate, the Islands of the Firth of Forth, Skye and the Great Glen region.
Some of my work crosses over into travel and promotional content for Visit Scotland and Visit Britain which is frequently presenter-led content.
• Sony XDCam PXW-FS7 4K slow motion camera
• Arri style dovetail and 19mm rods
• Satchler 18p tripod
• 100mm Baby legs
• Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
• 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS
• Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS
• Sigma Macro 105mm f/2.8 IS
• Canon 5D for HDR timelapse
• Konova K7 Motion controlled timelapse slider
• GoPro Hero 5 (set of 4)
• Power Inverter USB Car Charger
• 8×21 binoculars
• Stealth Gear Photographers Hide
• Outdoor Camouflage Poncho
• 3.5m x 5.4m camouflage tarpaulin sheet
• 1.8m x 2.4m camouflage tarpaulin sheet
• CAMPING KIT includes: Jack Wolfskin Tunnel Tent, ground tarp, 4 season sleeping bag, bivvy bag
• HIKING KIT include: 50l backpack, Primus express stove & gas, water bottle, hi-vis survival bag, emergency rations, power bank, mini powerbank,gaiters, water purification tablets, thermal hat, gloves, Universal First Aid Kit, tick removers tweezers, silva compass, OS maps, paracord, LED torch, LED headlight, insect repellant, back packers trowel, TP, bags, wet wipes, antibacterial gel, walking poles, suntan lotion, base layers
• OUTDOORS WEAR include: Waterproof Trousers, Waterproof Jacket, cap, walking boots
• WINTER TOOLS include: Ice Axe & Crampons
• Mac Book Pro
• LaCie Rugged Mini 2TB External Hard Drive
• Shotput Pro
Mitch TurnbullDirector / Producer / Plimsoll Productions
Ryan was super conscientious and worked beyond his brief whilst filming with me on a British wildlife series for Channel 5. I would highly recommend him.
• Long lens, hide work, live OB, HDR motion controlled time-lapses
• Experience with Sony FS7, Sony F55, Sony F5, Canon C300, Canon C100 mk2, Sony EX3, Canon 5D mk3, GoPro, Bushnell trailcam
• Final Cut Pro 7, FCP X, Premeire Pro 6
• Experienced hillwalker – climbing over a dozen of Scotland’s Munros
• Steven Fallon Navigation Skill course
• Expedition Skills